Thursday 18 April 2013

OUGD503 Final Evaluation.

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I feel that a major skill I have improved through this module has been my research skills as I have tried to push the areas that I have looked into and branch out. It was a weakness within my last module so I felt that it was important that I tried to work on it and improve. I have aimed to look into not only aspects that directly relate to the product I am creating but also more abstract examples that could still inform my practice. I have also developed my ability to create professional looking design boards, as before this module it wasn't something that I placed much importance upon. I have now come to realise that how these boards look could influence strongly how the audience reacts with my work. I have spent a lot longer considering the composition and the type of images to include that would put the work in the best light possible. Linking with this, especially during my collaborative brief, my photography skills have got better. Using the studio was a great experience and I feel that doing so benefited the overall look of the project a great deal. I have also improved how I work with other designers within the collaborative aspect. I found the partner contracts and recognising each others strengths and weaknesses to be very helpful. Mutual time management between two people is something I have never really had to do, so during this brief I feel that I have got better at communication and getting work done on time.


What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


I feel that an aspect that really helped me at the start of this brief was creating my idea generation boards. This is something I have never really done before but I am glad that I have tried to get myself into the habit of doing so as I think it made my time at the start of each project more productive. This is because I had a lot more focused idea of what I needed and wanted to do. It made things a lot quicker as I didn't have to deliberate about unnecessary things further down the line. I have also done short evaluations at the end of each project, I think this reflection at the end of each brief made an impact on the next. In relation to improvements that could have been made.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


I think the most obvious strength I have developed though this module has been pattern design. It has been an aspect of every single project and I feel I have gained a greater understanding of it after each one. Because I have looked into it in such great detail I believe this has enabled me to experiment with a lot of varied styles and approaches. Another aspect I have been really happy with have been my mock ups as I think they look very realistic and professional. It was also something that I really enjoyed doing as it was great to see my designs being put into context. Also my interaction with other people has gone really well, from working with Tani in the collaborative project and also within the same brief getting our wooden boxes constructed. I think this is a good example because we were interacting with another professional from a different field that we met up with to check progress a number of times. During this process we had to decide on what materials to be used and also specify the dimensions and what we wanted the design to be like.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


I feel that during this module I maybe could have taken part in a larger number of briefs to increase the variety of my work. Although from this I have learnt that I much prefer taking part in longer projects rather than ones that last just a couple of days. I feel this is because during the shorter briefs I felt that designs were never at the standard I would have liked or developed far enough. Leading on from this I feel that in some of the briefs I could have pushed them further than I did, for example create a larger product range or do more work on web and promotion. I also feel that some of my concepts could have been more extensive, to give the audience something more interesting and with more depth.


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to change from doing these?


  1. Choose less female orientated briefs - I feel that this would benefit me because during this project the majority of my target audiences have been women which has led my designs to have a similar look. I think that by looking at more projects that are aimed at men would expand my design practice and develop my audience understanding.
  2. Use more print processes - This is something I could have done a great deal more. Foiling was something that I did do but I feel that I could have expanded this a lot further. I think that a lot of my products could have been enhanced if I had taken this into account less far down the line.
  3. More printed products - With some of my briefs this has been done and I think that it has improved the overall level of the for. Even though I think my mock ups are a strength, sometimes it is good for the audience to be able to hold the item and get a feel of it.
  4. Deeper research - Even though this is an element that I have improved from the previous module I think that never enough can be done and is some aspects there were still alternative things I could have looked at to inform my practice.
  5. More range - Again even though this is something that has benefitted me I think that if I had taken on more briefs I could have looked at something not pattern based and experimented with a totally different style and outcome, like a website or branding.


How would you grade yourself in the following areas (5 - excellent to 1 - poor):


  • Attendance: 5
  • Punctuality: 5
  • Motivation: 4
  • Commitment: 4
  • Quantity of work: 3
  • Quality of work: 4
  • Commitment to the group: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment