Monday 24 October 2011

Proverbally Yours Initial Ideas.

For this brief we are moving away from working solely on type and focussing more on message and interpretation. It's nice to be moving onto something different and will be interesting to focus on something new. Again as usual I found the time frame of finishing this project a bit daunting as it is only for one week. Here is the brief...


Before receiving the brief we were all given a different proverb mine was 'absence makes the heart grow fonder.' I was quite happy with this as it was a saying that I'm already familiar with. Even though I had heard before I still researched definitions on the internet and in dictionaries which said...


Meaning: The lack of something increases the desire for it.
Origin:

The Roman poet Sextus Propertius gave us the earliest form of this saying in Elegies:
"Always toward absent lovers love's tide stronger flows."
The contemporary version appears in The Pocket Magazine of Classic and Polite Literature, 1832, in a piece by a Miss Stickland:
'Tis absense, however, that makes the heart grow fonder.

We then had to produce approximately forty five thumbnail sketches exploring ideas of portraying our proverb, fifteen for each poster style...


I am really happy with the variety of designs I have produced as to begin with I struggled to break away from my initial idea. Quite a few are versions of each other where just the composition has been altered. Some of my main ideas are people absent of a heart, lovers who are on opposite sides of the world, scientific representations of a heart, visual representations of growth e.g plants and also jigsaw puzzles with a piece missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment