Tuesday 29 January 2013

OUGD504 Final Evaluation.

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I think the most obvious skill that I have developed would have to be with web. It is an aspect that I had never looked at before. To begin with I found it very difficult and really hard to get my head around as the coding seemed so complex. Although I found that the more I did, the more it seemed to flow a lot faster. I am now extremely happy that I have managed to code two complete websites that have multiple linking pages. I can already see the progress from looking at my first to the second, as I felt that I have been able to code even more complex things as I went through. Designing scamps was also something I had never come across before and I had to really take into account navigation and how to make it easy for the audience to use. The wire frames also took a lot of thought because of the maths that is involved. I also think I have improved my layout design through my design for print handbook, I didn't find it easy but I think the process really helped me to develop my understanding.


What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Within this module I have learnt a lot of new skills revolving around print processes. The main one would be screen printing, it is something I have never really done before especially regarding setting up and exposing the screen itself. Initially I found the idea very daunting, but I found it a lot easier whilst doing it with someone else. After completing my screen and doing my prints I felt a sense of achievement as I felt that they had turned out a lot better than I had expected. I also learnt another skill, foiling. This was a very easy and time efficient technique that gave high quality results. I was surprised at how quick it was to do. I think crits also helped the development of my project as they happened very frequently so it was easy to gauge the progress I had made and the progress of others that helped to push me on further.


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think one of my main strengths during this module would be the coding of my websites, as I think it was something that I took to quite quickly and I found myself being able to help other people. I think both of my sites are easy to use and include information that would be appropriate and interesting for my target audience. During my next projects I feel I could make a supporting website for my work even if it wasn't a required deliverable. I am also happy with how my print booklet has turned out, especially seeing how much trouble I was having with it beforehand. I think the layout of it works aesthetically and I think the illustrations are strong and compliment it well. 


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Even though I have started experimenting with some techniques, I think I could have looked into even more. For example, embossing and laser cutting. I think now that I have gained confidence it will be something that I will be a lot more willing to do in the future. I could have also experimented more with different stocks to get a more professional look. I could also have done a lot more research as I feel it is something I usually put on the back burner. Even though I feel what I have researched into has helped, maybe if I had done more my designs could have been better.


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to change from doing these?

  1. Use more print processes - I think this will add a lot more interest to my design work and help to give variety.
  2. More research - This will help me get more inspiration for my designs and also a greater understanding of my target audience.
  3. More design sheets - Since last year I think my design sheets have improved but it is also something that I could still do a lot better to make designing digitally more fluent.
  4. More development - Again this is something that has got better but I feel that I could still push my ideas a lot further than I have done, rather than settling for my first ideas.
  5. Mid-evaluations - evaluate more throughout the project to get a better understanding of my progress and what needs to be done.


How would you grade yourself in the following areas (5 - excellent to 1 - poor):
  • Attendance: 5
  • Punctuality: 5
  • Motivation: 4
  • Commitment: 4
  • Quantity of work: 3
  • Quality of work: 4
  • Commitment to the group: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment